Monday 15 February 2010

Valentine Cabbage

I bought my love, for Valentine’s,
A perfect single rose.
And she bought me a cabbage,
That’s something, I suppose.

I looked at it in puzzlement,
Uncertain what to do.
She said to me, impatiently:
“Now cook some cabbage stew!”

She handed me a recipe,
Claimed it was the best,
Gave me some ingredients
To ‘add a little zest.’

I toiled within the kitchen
For at least an hour or two.
Cooking to perfection
This special cabbage stew.

The stew smelt most enticing,
As I stirred it in the pot.
Eagerly, I poured some out:
And soon, we’d ate the lot.

We cleared our bowls in minutes
Declared it was delicious
My love said, with a twinkle,
“Tonight, let’s leave the dishes!”

All night long, our passions flared
Our hearts were both aflame.
We stopped, just once, to have more stew,
And then began again.

Since that day, I’ve memorised
The recipe for that stew
So, if our passion starts to wane
I know just what to do.

That’s why, within our garden,
We always leave a row
Of thick, rich soil, all clear of weeds,
For cabbages to grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment